Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
If you’re lucky enough to be blessed with freckles, congrats! With beauty gurus and MUAs now obsessing over faux freckles, there’s never been a better time to show off these beautiful spots.
Mastering how to accentuate your freckles – or hide them (when you feel like it) – is an art. But choosing the best foundation for freckles makes it a lot easier. So, come with us as we discover the finest formulas that let you do both.
Why the World has Gone Wild for Freckles
ICYMI: Freckles have become a global beauty trend. And those who aren’t naturally blessed with them are drawing them on their face instead. Models like Kokie Childers, Maeva Giani Marshall, and Havana Rose Liu have stolen the spotlight with their unique looks and charmingly speckled skin, giving inspiration to every freckled beauty out there.
Freckles are as unique as the person that wears them. They make us stand out, feel beautiful, and give our faces that extra little something.
So, how do you accentuate these stunning specks? And for those who want to keep them hidden, is it even possible? Choosing the best foundation for freckles – and your skin – is the best place to start.
Foundation for Freckles: Learning the Basics
Whether you have lightly dotted skin or more striking spots, there’s a way to accentuate and appreciate them all. First, we need to cover the basics, like understanding skin types and undertones. Then, dive into choosing the best foundation for freckles that guarantees a perfect match.
Understanding Your Skin Type and Undertone
First things first: understanding your skin type and undertone. This step is vital whether we’re covering freckles, choosing an everyday CC cream, or picking an eyeshadow palette, so it pays to learn yours. On freckled skin especially, you want to pick shades that match your skin – not your spots.
The simplest trick to figuring out skin undertone is to look at your veins in natural light. If they look blue or purple, you have a cool skin tone. Veins that appear green or greenish blue tend to belong to warm skin tone types. Still not sure? Veins somewhere in the middle indicate a neutral skin tone.
Skin type is a little trickier and requires some introspection. Does your face look shiny? Feel a little greasy? This is probably an oily complexion. On the other hand, skin that feels tight and sometimes flakes could be classed as dry. Combination skin is a little bit of both (you’re shiny in the T-zone but dry on your nose and cheeks). And those with normal skin will be, well, normal. No obvious signs of oil or dryness to be found.
Armed with your skin type and undertone, the search for a freckle-friendly foundation can begin.
Foundation that Doesn’t Cover Freckles: Top Picks
You’ve got a beautifully freckled face, and you want to show it. Thankfully, we’ve found some stellar foundations that allow your natural beauty to come through while giving adequate coverage. Yes, please!
- Fenty Beauty, Eaze Drop
This blurring skin tint offers light to medium coverage and can be applied with fingers or a brush for equally stunning results. With 25 shades and a smooth, flawless texture, it’s the perfect way to accentuate your freckles.
- e.l.f cosmetics, Flawless Satin Foundation
Want silky smooth skin and a no-makeup, but makeup look? This semi-matte foundation is a dream come true. It comes in an impressive 40 shades and includes glycerine to hydrate your skin.
- Glossier, Perfecting Skin Tint
An ultra-thin formula and buildable foundation are precisely what the doctor ordered. The inclusion of Diamond Powder gives a brightening effect and minimises pores while letting your freckles shine through.
- Giorgio Armani, Luminous Silk Foundation
Treat yourself (and your freckles) to a foundation inspired by decadent charmeuse silk. Often rated the best liquid foundation, this formula provides slightly more coverage while keeping that luminous and silky feel we love.
The Best Makeup for Freckles Coverage
Looking for a foundation to cover freckles? That’s okay, too. Sometimes we simply want to work on a blank canvas. These are our top foundation-for-freckles-coverage picks.
- Tarte, Face Tape Foundation
Inspired by their famous concealer, this full-coverage foundation from Tarte is ideal for covering freckles. With 12 hours of power, it’s waterproof, sweatproof, and transfer-proof, so your spots will stay hidden as long as you like.
- Estee Lauder, Double Wear Maximum Coverage Camouflage
A tried-and-true classic, Double Wear is one of the best foundations for freckles. With 24-hour staying power, a matte finish, and waterproof formula, it ticks all the boxes for a solid foundation.
- Charlotte Tilbury, Airbrush Flawless Foundation
A foundation that’s weightless and provides all-day coverage? Sign us up. Covering freckles is easy with this foundation, plus it includes wrinkle defying REPLEXIUM™ and Magic MossCellTec™ to boost skin hydration. Bliss!
- The Ordinary, Coverage Foundation
Coveted for its affordability and innovation, The Ordinary’s Coverage Foundation is a semi-matte, high-coverage option. It comes in 21 shades with a lightweight, non-oily formula that feels heavenly on your skin..
Makeup Techniques to Enhance Freckles
One of the biggest selling points of makeup (especially foundation) is that it covers things up. So, if you’re a speckled beauty looking to enhance your features, then what? Here are a few makeup techniques used by professionals that work for enhancing freckles.
- Accentuate with a brow pencil. Want your freckles to have some wow factor? Consider accentuating them with a brow pencil to make them really pop. Lightly tap a brown pencil on top of your freckles and give them some oomph.
- Match your foundation to your neck or top of your shoulders. A freckled face can be a little harder to colour match. If you’re struggling, consider doing some swatches on your neck or the top of your shoulders (if you’re unevenly tanned) to help get the perfect fit.
- Spot-treat freckles with concealer. Small dabs of concealer on top of freckles can help hide the ones you don’t want to be seen. This lets the best dots shine through while hiding those that don’t suit your look. Just don’t forget to blend!
- Use a small brush. Freckles make for a beautiful landscape, but it can also mean that applying products is a little trickier. Try smaller brushes for concealer, so you only cover the areas you want to.
Dos and Don’ts for Freckle-Friendly Makeup
There’s a fine art to making up a beautifully freckled face. Check out these dos and don’ts that will accentuate your natural dotted beauty while still looking fiercely beat.
- Do choose sheer foundations. Opt for foundations labelled ‘sheer’ or ‘buildable’. Rather than completely covering your freckles, they’ll give light, consistent coverage that helps them be seen.
- Do use cream products. Cream blushes and highlights tower over powder products when it comes to freckles. They give a youthful, dewy finish that’ll help these beautiful specks come through naturally.
- Don’t go too heavy on the contour. Intense contour and freckles are a no-no. The combination of both can make your skin appear dirty, so keep things light when going for a contoured look.
- Don’t match the foundation to your freckles. A foundation should only ever be matched to your skin’s undertone, not your freckles. Otherwise, the coverage will be too dark and harshly contrast with the rest of your skin.
- Don’t forget sun protection. SPF should be part of any good skincare routine, including makeup application. Freckle-prone skin can be reined in a little with sun protection, so keep this in mind.
Freckle-Friendly Foundation for All
The world is celebrating the natural beauty of freckles, so it’s time you do as well. With the right foundation and makeup techniques, you can accentuate or hide your freckles to create a look that’s uniquely you.
What foundation should I use if I have freckles?
A buildable foundation is best for accentuating freckles. Otherwise, choose a full coverage foundation if your goal is to cover freckles completely. Another tip is that you can combine different coverage formulas. For example, apply one that is more sheer on your freckles and one with fuller coverage on the outer edges of the face.
How do I find my foundation colour for Freckles?
A foundation should be chosen based on the undertone of your skin and matched accordingly. To determine your undertone, look at your veins. Blue and purple mean cool tones, while green and blue veins are warmer skin tones.
What makeup looks best with freckles?
Cream blushes and powders, as well as sheer finish foundations, are best for freckled skin. Avoid heavy powders, contouring, and full-coverage foundations if you want your freckles to come through.
What colour makes freckles pop?
The best colour match for freckles depends on their tone. However, freckles usually pop best with warmer colours like peach, coral, blush, and pink.