Say Goodbye to Uneven Brows with These Easy Fixes
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
Before you even ask – yes, it is totally normal to have uneven eyebrows. In fact, there are loads of reasons why our eyebrows look different from each other. But thankfully, just as many ways to learn how to fix uneven eyebrows.
Come with us as we explore the causes of uneven brows, how to help them grow, and ensure you get the symmetrically snatched your brows have been dying for.
Common Causes of Uneven Eyebrows
So, why are my eyebrows uneven, you might ask? Whether you’ve got one eyebrow higher than the other or different shapes altogether, there’s probably a good reason for it. These are just a few reasons one brow may look slightly different from the other.
- Muscle tone. A drooping upper eyelid, or ptosis, can cause the eyebrow to drop. Otherwise, it’s perfectly normal to have less muscle tone on one side of your face, which causes unevenness.
- Trauma and inflammation. Hair removal treatments like waxing, creams, and plucking can traumatise the hair follicles and skin surrounding the eyebrows and make them appear uneven.
- Anti-ageing treatments. Although commonly used to treat uneven facial muscles and wrinkles, anti-ageing treatments like Botox can make them appear more prominent.
- Genetics. Thanks, parents. Sparse and uneven eyebrows can be a matter of genetics. If other family members suffer from imbalanced brows and lacklustre growth, there’s a good chance you will, too.
The good news is, no matter what caused it, there are ways to learn how to fix uneven eyebrows.
Get Yourself a Brow Plan
FYI: imbalanced brows are totally normal. But if you’re looking to straighten them up, the key to fixing misshapen eyebrows is having a plan of attack. It might look a little like this:
- Give your brows six weeks to brow out completely (or as much as possible).
- See a brow artist to shape them, with repeat visits every four to six weeks.
- Avoid removing any hair yourself.
Next, learn how to shape your brows so nobody will be the wiser, even if they stay asymmetrical.
Help! My Brows Aren’t Growing!
Waiting for your eyebrow hair to grow is an exercise in patience. Thankfully, the beauty gods have formulated some products that speed up the process to give you healthier, fuller, and faster-growing brows.
Brow serums contain products that extend the brow growth cycle and can help with issues of unevenness. Our favourite is the RevitaLash RevitaBrow Advanced Eyebrow Conditioner Serum, with ingredients like amino acids, peptides, and biotin. This baby won’t just even your brows, but make them stronger too.
Otherwise, fake it till you make it with a brow gel that adds volume without any real growth. Hourglass’s Arch Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel comes in six shades and is infused with fibres, so the end result is perfect.
Shaping Your Eyebrows for Symmetry
Learning the basics of symmetry is vital in mastering an arched eyebrow, but it’s not everything. One of the biggest mistakes we make with naturally uneven eyebrows is trying to make them perfectly identical. A better rule to follow is that we want our brows to be sisters and not twins.
Starting with the bridge of your nose, make sure the head of the eyebrows meet at an equal distance in the middle, starting straight from the side of the nostril. Next, find the best position for an arch by marking around two-thirds of the way in. Finally, mark a spot for the end of the brow by holding a brown pencil on the edge of your nostril and lining it up with the corner of your eye.
When to Call in the Experts
Still can’t figure out how to fix your eyebrows on your own? No worries. You can use some amazing professional treatments to even up your brows and get a more symmetrical look.
- Microblading. This process involves tattooing fine hair strokes where your eyebrows should be. The end result? A natural yet even look that can last up to 30 months.
- Tinting. Those with lighter hairs might find tinting helpful in their quest for balanced brows. Some tints, like henna, are gentle on the skin, giving you the shape you desire on both sides.
- Lamination. Eyebrow lamination is a chemical treatment that straightens individual brows. When combined with shaping and tinting, it can help you achieve a more permanent, fuller, and even look.
- Anti-wrinkle treatments. Just as Botox can cause uneven brows, it can also be used to fix them. Injections of anti-wrinkle treatments on the affected side can lift the brow to achieve better symmetry.
Upkeep and maintenance are just as important for healthy, even brows. We recommend leaving the tweezers alone and gently brushing out your brows once a day in between appointments with a brow artist. Plus, apply your chosen growth serum or treatment to ensure they flourish.
Balance Your Way to Better Brows
Learning how to fix asymmetrical brows is a handy skill to have but one that requires practice and patience. With a few visits to a brow artist and the proper growth treatments in your arsenal, you’ll have the enviable brows you’ve always dreamed of.
Why is my eyebrow higher than the other?
Uneven eyebrows can be caused by trauma, genetics, facial muscle loss, or hair removal techniques. Usually, it’s an easy fix to balance the shape and height of an eyebrow with makeup.
How do I even out my eyebrow shape?
To even out your eyebrow shape, consider treatments like waxing, tinting, and microblading to get a more symmetrical look. In addition, using brow shape stencils and pencils can temporarily fix the shape.
How much does it cost to fix uneven eyebrows?
Depending on the method used to fix uneven brows, treatment can cost between $30 to $300. Options include Botox, microblading, and eyebrow tinting, each with pros and cons.
How can I make my eyebrows grow back faster?
Products like eyebrow growth serum or caster oil can help speed up the growth cycle, but they might only be effective for some. Otherwise, over-the-counter hair growth serum can speed up the process to regrow eyebrows.
How long does it take for eyebrows to grow back?
You can wear lipstick in headshots, but keeping it to a natural shade that enhances your skin tone is best. If in doubt, choose a colour that’s only one shade darker than your lip colour for a less dramatic look.